February 10, 2012

Make this: Lina's Pasta

Last month when I was in Florida, I spent a good, long day at the pool while Sarey was at work. I had the place to myself. I went home for lunch (somehow that burnt grilled cheese was to die for.) Upon my return, other pool-goers had appeared. Two older men with socks and shoes on, sat on the shady side. While an older woman (with a professional tan) sat on the other side of the pool, in exactly the best spot to get the most rays.

The pool area there is small and peaceful enough that when I entered the gate and walked to my chair, everyone noticed. It's one of those moments where it's polite to say 'hello' as you walk by on your way to your spot, like you know eachother, even though you don't. "Pool Culture" is similar to "Plane Culture" Some people like to talk to the strangers next to them, some put their earphones on and read- and you spend a good 3 hours close enough to smell each other deoderant but never utter a word to one another. You never know right off the bat, so, I always give it a minute. Feel out the vibes, per se. Hence, why the "hello" to the professional tanning lady.

As I relaxed onto my chaise, I realized that our planet Earth had rotated quite a bit while I was inside eating the burntness (word?) of cheese/bread. If I was to stay in my original suntanning location, I feared just the right half of my bod would get browned. This was not the goal of the day, and so, a move was imperative. It's a good thing the Earth circles the sun because I was forced to follow in the professional tanner's ways. I moved my things next to the 'pro' with one chair in between us, in case she was one that likes her space. She must have taken my move as a sign of potential friendship because immediately she said, 'you needa some brown.' (very Italiany sounding) "Ah ha! She's a talker, "I thought and so, I replied, I KNOW! This is my first day here from Colorado... and so on and so forth. Our friendship was well underway, I liked her style- straightforward, yet not offensive by any means. Just truthful. I love people who speak their mind--It gives me unspoken permission to do the same. And so we had a good opening chat.

After a brief moment of quiet, while the sun wrapped it warmth around every bit of me, Lina was her name, says to me.... "You are Italian?" And all I could do is say, "Me????" (Like there was anyone else there) And she said, "you are like one of us..." And that, made me feel all warm inside...warmer even than the sun on my outside. I fell in love, right then, with Lina. In my heart, she became my Grandmother. And so, we talked and talked.

Lina is from Bari, Italy. Her husband (one of the older men on the other side of the pool with socks on) is also from Italy. They met in Canada in their twenties and married. They still live in Canada today, but like me, are hoping to be winter snowbirds next year. They are staying with Luciano's (the hubby's) brother and his wife now. I imagined 4 Italian people staying together on vacation and immediately imagined beautiful, homemade Italian food! And so I asked, "what are you having for dinner tonight?" At first Lina was suprised by the question, I think. But, she was a sport and explained this dish.

"You make-a the pasta. Put the olive oil. Salt and pepper. And peas."
That's all? I asked.
That's all. she confirmed.

I've thought of Lina alot since I've been back home in Colorado for some reason. I really loved her, I guess. So, the other night, I finally made Lina's dish. It's incredible! AMC loved it! So, I've decided that no matter what the circumstances, for the rest of my life, I will always have in my pantry/freezer...

a box of pasta
a bottle of olive oil and
a bag of frozen peas

It is delicious, easy and obviously cheap. It could be made for 2 or 20 in a heartbeat- miraculous!

I never saw Lina again on my trip, they were heading back home that Friday. But, maybe someday our paths will cross again, I hope so! If not, I'll always remember her when I make this dish. Grazie Lina!

Do you have these ingredients laying around in your kitchen? If so, try it! It's a little bit of Bari, Italy right there in your mouth!

                           Boun Apetito!


Lina! So nice and tan.

Bari is just about on the heel of the boot, it's port town and looks Honeymoon friendly for sure.
photo credit: http://www.gotour.us/

photo credit: http://ginosmarket.com/history.html







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...